What is a dilapidation survey?
A dilapidations survey is a detailed assessment of the condition of a building from top to bottom. Every survey reviews the building's exterior, interior, each room, its systems, ie heating and electrics, down to its minor cosmetic damage to walls, ceilings and floors.
If any part of the building is substandard, it will be highlighted as a dilapidation and baseline remedial costs for required repairs provided.
Dilapidation surveys key benefits:
- Gives landlords and tenants reassurance of a buildings condition
- Saves money by not overpaying for repairs that are not their fault
- Ensures a building is safe for tenants, employees and the public
- Helps avoid disputes for who is responsible for repairs
A dilapidation report covers:
- Full Report of the Building's Condition and Each Room
- Risk Assessment
- Budget Costs for Remedials
- Evidence of Condition
- Prioritization of Repairs
We saved a tenant in Oxford a quarter of a million pounds thanks to a dilapidations survey.
The landlord served their Dilapidations Claim at £300,000.
We reached a settlement with the Landlord of the building at £50,000, thus saving £250,000 from the landlord's original claim.
We saved another client in the Isle of Wight £70,000 with our dilapidations services.
The landlord served their Dilapidations Claim at £95,000
We reached a settlement with the Landlord of the building at £25,000, saving £70,000 from the landlord's original claim and repairs that were not the tenant's fault.
Get Dilapidations Surveys and Reports
Dilapsolutions offers a comprehensive dilapidations survey. If you're based in the UK or Ireland and need help navigating dilapidations in your local area, speak to us today and get a no-obligation consultation.
Guide to Dilapidations Surveys for Tenants and Landlords
What does a dilapidation survey include?
A thorough review of the condition of every component and system of a building.
- Radiators and Heating Systems
- Fire Escapes and Fire Safety Routes
- Hazardous Areas
- Electric and Power Systems
- Windows and doors
- Staircases and Lift Systems
- IT and Communications
- Air Conditioning and Fans
- Grilles and Diffusers
- Lighting and Fittings
- Walls, Floors and Ceilings
Who needs a dilapidation survey?
Tenants and landlords may be required to instruct surveyors to assess a building's condition. For a tenant, this may be following a Schedule of Dilapidations, or may be part of a legal requirement or as stated within a contractual agreement.
At Dilapsolutions, we've helped tenants and landlords across the UK and Ireland save thousands on repairs that weren't their fault. Get suitable advice for your needs today and avoid paying more than you should.
When is a Survey Needed?
Prior to a property lease
A tenant may arrange a dilapidations assessment survey prior to taking a lease:
- Provides the tenant with assurances that the building is safe before letting
- Helps to ascertain future liability
- Can help avoid payments for repairs that were present prior to the contract starting
A landlord may arrange a dilapidations survey prior to issuing a lease:
- Provides the landlord with a list of expected remedials at the end of the contract
- Helps to ascertain future liability
- Can help avoid disputes and potential court proceedings in the future
At the end of a property lease
A tenant may arrange a dilapidations survey at the end of a lease:
- Helps the tenant avoid paying for repairs that are not their fault
- Clarifies what is required and which areas of the lease agreement were breached
- Can help avoid disputes in the future
A landlord may arrange a dilapidations assessment survey at the end of a lease:
- Confirms whether repairs and maintenance contracts have been fulfilled
- Helps negotiations
- Specifies the condition of a building prior to contract changes
Getting a dilapidations survey
‘Dilapidations’ represents a complex and potentially unexpected level of expenditure at lease expiry.
We uniquely provide both chartered building surveyors and chartered valuation surveyors to offer dilapidations advice and steer you through these complexities to the best outcome, whether you are the owner or outgoing tenant.
We provide dilapidations services in respect of all commercial property types, throughout the United Kingdom & Ireland.